Sunday, February 14, 2010

Frogsong's Video Game reviews.

Have I ever told you that I love video games? Well I do, and I've decided to write a review on the games I own, or have played so far. I own the Playstation 3 and the Wii, so those are the platforms I'll be talking about. So here goes...

Wii Games

1. Super Mario Galaxy: In my opinion, this is the best of the Mario games. It is fun, it is challenging, the graphics are great, It's totally 3D, and you can go anywhere on the map rather than just from side to side like the other Mario Games. If you like the Mario games, you will love Super Mario Galaxy.

2. Metroid Prime 3 The only complaint I have about this game is that it wasn't long enough. Other than that, I loved everything about it. The graphics are great, the controls are nice, and the play is fun. I can't wait for the sequel, Metroid Other M to be released. They are predicting the release date to be in August 2010. I already have it pre-ordered, that's how much I liked this game.

3. Deadly Creatures: In this game you get to be a tarantula or a scorpion. You don't get to choose which one you want to be, it switches from one level to the next. You crawl around fighting deadlies and eating grubs. Not an extremely challenging game, except the part where you fall into the web of black widows. They made it extremely difficult (for me anyway) to get through that one challenge. I got so frustrated I quit the game for a few days before I tried it again. I still couldn't get it, so I had my Fiance' try and he finally got me past it so I could continue playing my game.

I haven't finished the game yet, so I don't know if there are any equally challenging bits, but other than the one so far, the game is pretty laid back and more of a fun adventure than it is challenging. This would be a good game for the younger kids to play. The graphics are excellent, and the controls are nice.

4. Lara Croft Tomb Raider Anniversary: I have always been a huge fan of Tomb Raider and had a lot of fun playing them all, on the older Nintendo consoles. This game is a lot of fun, can be quite challenging, which I like, and the graphics are nice. But, if this old 46 year old grandma can beat it in a matter of a couple of hours something is wrong. This game is way too short and left me feeling short changed.

5. Shaun White Snowboarding: If you have the balance board, this game is a blast. I'm sure it's fun without the balance board too, but the balance board not only makes it feel more real, but gives you a great workout. If you want to get your couch potato kids off the couch and exercising, this is a wonderful game.

5. We Ski: I've only played this one a couple of times yet. Not as fun as Shaun White Snowboarding, but still quite fun with the balance board. The controls take a little more getting used to on this one.

6. Tiger Woods PGA Tour: Even if you don't play golf, this one is a lot of fun to play with another player. The graphics are nice. You have to deal with all the things you would in real golf. Wind factor, turf, sand, water traps, ground slope, etc.

You also have to decide which club to use for any given situation. Then you have to hit it just right. You can power swing, or hit a curve ball, depending on all the factors mentioned above. All in all, it's a really fun game, though sometimes the ball goes wild when you swear you didn't hit it that way, and it's all the games fault of course. haha.

7. Mad World: Absolutely dumb line drawing black and white graphics with the only color being comic book type splatters of gory blood with words in bubbles like Kablam! Plaaat! Kapow! etc. to complete the stupidity of this game. It's like walking around in a black and white comic book. For all that, it's one of the most violent games on the market for Wii, so it's not for the kids. And, you'll be totally bored out of your mind by it within about 10 minutes, if that long. Seriously, don't waste your money.

8. The House Of The Dead, Overkill: This game is NOT for kids and should have been rated AO, Adults Only, rather than M for mature. Unless you don't mind you or your kids hearing the F-word almost constantly throughout the game, and the lovely incestual scene at the end, steer clear of this one.

9. Wii Fit: Wii Fit is a little collection of different games designed to give you a workout, or you can do yoga meditation or improve on your bodies sense of balance. You'll need the balance board for this game. The board will weigh you and keep track of your daily workouts and weight loss. Although this game is designed to be a workout, it does it in a fun way and my 9-year-old grandson loves it. A nice game for any age, and I recommend it.

10. Lego Indiana Jones: I don't own this game, but I rented it and I had a lot of fun playing it until I got to a spot on the disc that was scratched and I couldn't go any further. I liked this game enough that I do plan to purchase it eventually so I can finish my game.

11. Just Dance: Another one I don't have but plan to purchase is Just Dance. I played it one night with a bunch of family members and we had a lot of fun with it. It's definitely one that I want to add to my collection of Wii games.

12. Rock Band: My daughter has this one and when family and friends get together to play it, it's a lot of fun for everyone.

I have a few more Wii games that I haven't played enough to give an accurate review. I will add those later.

Playstation 3 Games

1. Uncharted, Drakes Fortune: This game came with the Playstation console when I purchased it so it was the first game I played on the Playstation 3. It's a great game, and I had a lot of fun playing it. The graphics are great, the game play is nice, the controls are almost flawless, and the storyline is interesting. I have to say that this is one of the best Action Adventure games out there.

2. Uncharted 2, Among Thieves: The long awaited sequel to Uncharted, Drakes Fortune... Among Thieves has wonderful graphics, even better than Drakes Fortune, which were already outstanding. The game play is just as great as before, with great action adventure, shootouts, puzzles to solve, and comes with the added ability to play online with friends. I have only played this one online for about an hour or so. I'll report back when I have more online play time logged. But so far I have to say, Uncharted 2 was well worth the wait and delivers what it promised.

I'll go so far as to say that Uncharted Among Thieves is one of the best online multiplayer games of this type so far for the Playstation 3. This is also the only game on Amazon with over 500 reviews and still maintaining a 5 star rating. Excellent, excellent, excellent!

The only complaint I have about this game is the aiming of the guns. The aim is off to the side rather than straight down the sights of the gun. So in essence, while you may have your gun aimed directly at your target, the crosshairs are off to the right. So in order to shoot your target, you have to aim the gun to the left of the target to get your crosshairs on the target.

This probably wouldn't be as annoying to me if I weren't used to the Call Of Duty controls where you aim the gun directly at your target without having to compensate for the off centered crosshairs. Other than that, this is a definite must have for all Playstation 3 console owners.

3. Call Of Duty, World At War: I cannot say enough about the Call Of Duty series of games.
The graphics are wonderful, the maneuverability of the players is wonderful, the aiming is excellent, The games are outrageously fun and the online game play is out of this world ridiculous, in a good way. Theee absolute best first person shooter out there anywhere!

4. Call Of Duty 4, Modern Warfare: More of the same wonderful fun as Call Of Duty, World At War with a few different weapons and perks.

5. Call Of Duty, Modern Warfare 2: Tons of new stuff in this edition. It took a little getting used to, but once again, one of the best games ever! I love this game so much, I plan to own every version. Now, we just need some new maps for Modern Warfare 2 to keep it interesting.

6. God Of War and God Of War II: I rented this game before buying it, and I loved it so much I bought version I and II of it for the Playstation 3 console. I've had God Of War III, soon to be released on March 16th 2010, pre-ordered since November, and I'm very anxious to get it.

The only down side to this game is that at the early beginning of the game somewhere, you will run across some prostitutes with pendulous bare breastases. You can either ignore them and move along, or you can, ahem, interact with them for some small bonus or some such. In the first version I ignored them so I don't know what happens when you interact with them. However, in the second version I decided to interact with them to see what happened.

The only plus about this scene is that it cuts away from the scene visually, so you don't see anything. But audibly, you get to hear the orgasmic moaning and groaning of a nice little frolic in the jacuzzi with them. Then you get some little bonuses that hardly make it worth the effort. These scenes are completely gratuitous and could have been left out without hurting the game in any way, shape or form.

6. Socom US Navy Seals, Confrontation: Well, one of the guys that works with Ken told him Socom was even better than Call Of Duty so I bought it without trying it first. I mean, how bad could it be if someone says it's better than Call Of Duty, right? Wrong!

This game sucks! Absolutely sucks! Compared to Call Of Duty, it really sucks! I played it for a few minutes and never touched it again. Granted, I only played it online and didn't try the offline play. The graphics are bad, the characters that you're supposed to be looking for and killing are difficult to see they're so tiny. The game was just horrible.

And if the proof isn't in this review, you can find it in the new version due to be released this month, February 16th, at a price of ONLY $36.99 on Amazon. A far cry from the $59.99 price tag of most new games. And there is a reason for that folks, yes there is. Don't waste your money on this one.

7. Metal Gear Solid 4, Guns Of The Patriots: It's been a long while since I've played this game, but I do remember that I liked it. And I was quite addicted to playing it until I got my first Call Of Duty game. This game can be played online, though I haven't played it online as of yet, so I don't have a review on the online part of it.

This game is mostly about stealth, more so than about going in full bore in all out war. It has some very interesting aspects about it that I liked, such as the camouflage suit that allows you to blend into the walls, etc. so you're harder to spot. I like the constant action of Call Of Duty much better, as Metal Gear Solid can get just a tad boring crawling around on the ground all the time to avoid detection. However, this game IS fun to play and definitely one worth having in your collection. When I get around to trying the online play, I'll report back.

8. Motor Storm: If you like the driving and racing type games, you'll love this one. I bought Motor Storm used from Gamestop because it was cheap. $14.99.

While I'm not a big fan of the driving games, I liked this one so much I bought the next version, Motorstorm, Pacific Rift. Motorstorm is by far, the best driving/racing game I've ever played. You get to drive everything from big Rigs to motorcycles in some very interesting terrain. Motorstorm does not have mulitplayer capabilites which was annoying, but it does have online play capabilites. Good for all ages, this one is definitely one to have in your collection.

9. Motor Storm: Pacific Rim: Even better than the first. More tracks, better graphics, and this time they included a multiplayer split screen mode as well as the ability to play online. A great game that isn't just about how fast you can go, but how well you can maneuver your chosen vehicle in some incredible terrain, and how well you can knock your opponents off the track or over a cliff. Lots of fun for everyone.

10. Resident Evil 5: Just as crappy as all the other Resident Evil games. Why they keep making new ones is beyond me. Whatever you do, rent this one before you buy. It's awful.

Well, there you have it. My reviews of the games I own, or have played at some point. I will post more reviews of games as I play them.

No comments:

Post a Comment